Frequently asked questions
When can I apply for membership?
Membership enrollment begins the first day of the academic semester, and the deadline to submit an application is two weeks before the end of semester. From those who would like to participate from the Induction Ceremony, please submit an application two weeks before this event.
What are the requirements to apply for membership?
You must have completed 12 semester units and have maintained a minimum GPA of 3.25
and currently attending San Diego City College
Can I still apply for membership if my GPA is below 3.25?
Unfortunately, at the moment we cannot offer provisional membership for those
with a lower GPA, but you can still partake in the volunteer events that we have planned. Now, if you are in the nursing program please contact us at email@example.com to review your options.
Where can I pick up and drop off an application?
Applications are available on the Membership page, and you can also receive an application by emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your application to email@example.com
How much does membership cost?
There is a one time fee of $90.
What are the benefits of being a member?
As a member you have access to over $37 million in scholarships and grants, opportunity for leadership experience, voting power as it pertains to chapter affairs, access to the PTK.org website which includes the Five Star Competitive Edge program, and personalized letters of recommendation from Phi Theta Kappa headquarters.
What are these additional requirements I hear of?
As of the Fall 2017 semester all active members are required to complete the following to remain an active member and proudly wear the PTK regalia.
NOTE: Please note that because of COVID-19, our requirements changed. For more information about how can you completed your requirements contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Start Competitive Edge on PTK website and provide visual evidence.
2. Attend one meeting per semester in addition to orientation or select a volunteer
3. Select and participate in a team for Chapter's Honors in Action project
4. In addition select from one of the following electives:
a. 1 Club Rush per semester
b. 3 hours Community Service
c. Participate in College Project during Spring Semester.
What is the Five Star Competitive Edge Program?
The Five Star Competitive Edge program provides resume building techniques, interview strategies, a professional portfolio on the Mahara website, and an assortment of training videos which can all be listed on your resume.
What kind of events does the chapter engage in?
Throughout the semester, chapter members can participate in volunteer opportunities, fellowship events, and educational seminars.
How can EOPS help reimburse my membership fee?
*Note that not all PTK members will be eligible for this benefit through San Diego City College's EOPS program.
Please note that because of COVID-19, The EOPS Department is CLOSED to students and the public. Please do not come to campus at this time. They will be checking their emails often, and will respond as soon as posible.
1. Students must make an appointment with an EOPS counselor to submit the EOPS Petition to request reimbursement.
2. Students must bring a copy of the PTK email confirmation (with the code) that they receive once the PTK application is submitted. This must be attached to the EOPS Petition.
3. The EOPS Petition will be approved if the student has an unmet financial need (as determined by the financial aid office). The student must also meet the EOPS program requirements.
4. Once approved, the EOPS grant check will be requested. Students will receive this check in the same manner that they receive their financial aid (direct deposit, mail or pick-up).
5. Checks will be requested on an as needed basis and are generated weekly (Friday evenings ) and funds should be received by te end of the following week.